Thursday, February 7, 2008

Traveling Day 1

Sorry I haven't posted the story of our trip sooner. . . I have been sick and have just not had the energy or time to get on the computer until now. Oh not to mention the fact that we were just able to get the computers up and running (with internet connection) yesterday so I didn't actually have access to all my stuff. Anyway. . . we got off at about 10:00 am on Sunday morning I was hoping to leave by 9:00 but it just didn't happen. Jonah and I got up at 6am and started to finish the last, last minute packing and loading, his parents were up and helping soon but before I knew it, it was 8:00 and time to get the boys up. So by the time we had to get them dressed, fed, and had their beds broken down etc, it was just about 10:00. Traveling did go better than I expected, but of course it is never a bowl full of cherries traveling with two toddlers. Jake had a hard time at first but was able to get some rest after we tilted the car seat back a little. Will watched movies almost the whole day, it kept his interest for the most part. But we did have a couple of melt downs. . . around 2:00 by this time we were well into missing his nap and had been driving for 4 hours he was tired and ready to be done (little did he know we had about 8 hours left to go). He was able to settle back down and made it all the way until about 9:00 pm until we had another melt down. Now for those of you who know me well, know that I am a bit neurotic about their schedule we do the same thing at the same time everyday with slight variations in the schedule, very slight variations. For Example I might say. . .ok for a special treat you can go to bed 15 minutes late. . . Never, never, never do I say oh sure you can go to bed 2 hours late!!!! Well that is what time they actually went to bed on Sunday 10 pm (well with the time change I guess it was only 9pm but still). So ofcourse when they are used to always going to bed at the same time it is really hard on them to diviate from the schedule. We got to the the hotel (finally) and it was a bit hard for them to settle down. I put them both into the portable cribs (pack and plays) and Jake would pop up I would put him back down Pop here was Jake's head again, finally I laid down and he got the idea that we were all going to sleep. So we had all just gotten to sleep and Jake starts coughing. . . oh did I forget the mention that not only were we traveling with 2 toddlers but that they were both sick that just added to the fun. So I get up to find the baby vicks -oh and for those of you who don't currently have small ones the FDA has pulled all cold meds for the under 6 crowd so this means that there is now nothing that you can give these little guys they (and you) just have to tough it out lovely-
So I give him the baby vicks (or baby mix as Will calls it) and he settles down. Then we finally all get back to sleep and Will starts screaming. I am not exaggerating either. He does this sometimes when he has had a hard day (I think he has night terrors) he will wake up screaming sometimes he is awake and sometimes not. So I got up and comforted him I think it happened twice. . . I am not quite sure the whole night is a bit of a blur. I think I got about 4 hours of good sleep but it felt like about 20 min. Ok this is a really long post so I will chronicle day 2 for you later. Here a couple of pictures I took while we were driving:

Will in a comotose state while watching Movies

Jake after eating Fig Newtons in his car seat- What a mess those seats are after the trip

No comments: