I really don't like going grocery shopping, I like to plan the menu and make the list of items we need, I just don't like to do the actual shopping. It is such a hassle to pile the boys in the car, drive to the store (usually Wal-mart) pile them out of the store and then shop for all of the items we need all the while explaining what this is and what that is and reminding that we don't take things off of the shelf and telling Jake, for the 25th time that no he cannot walk like Will because he is just not big enough yet, not to mention the fact that I am very overprotective in the store and don't want either of them more than two feet from me and the idea of having a 2 and a 3 year old running lose makes my anxiety level rise to tremendous amounts! By the time we get home and unpack all of the groceries it is lunch time and Jake is following me around crying and asking if we can have lunch and I feel like I need a nap! The weekly grocery shopping is very stressful for me, as I am writing about it I realize how silly it sounds and wonder why I let all of these things get to me I need to learn to relax more and just go with the flow. Well I guess I will have a chance to practice my patience tomorrow, as I decided this morning to plan out the menu for two weeks instead of my usual one. So I got out the recipe box and planned out 12 dishes (Saturday is usually left-over day for us) and made a list of all of the things that we will need for each dish. The plan is not to have to go the store next week! Good plan right? I know it will probably take a bit more time at the store but planning ahead is always worth it in the long run. So would you like to take a peak at what I will be picking up tomorrow on our trek to the store?
Bananas
Apples
Oranges
Grapes
Watermelon (We are loving the fresh fruits right now)
White Onions (3)
Yellow Onion
Cilantro
Parsley
Bell pepper
Sandwich rolls
Hamburger Buns
12 inch Pizza crust ( We are going to try out a Mexican pizza recipe~ we usually make our own crust for pizza but I like to follow a new recipe exactly the first time around)
Hamburger 2lb
Frozen Chicken Breast
1 lb beef top
OJ (4) (we go through so much orange juice, if we lived in a warmer climate it would be worth it to have a orange tree)
Chicken Broth (2)
Canned Corn
Green beans French style
1-14 oz can chopped tomatoes
1-14 oz can sliced carrots
Enchiladas sauce (3)
Refried beans (2)
Black Olives
Colby Jack Cheese
Mexican Cheese Blend (2) (I am trying a new enchiladas dish along with the Mexican pizza~ we love Mexican dishes)
Sour Cream
Milk
Tortilla chips
Baked Cheddar Chips
Prunes (Jake loves prunes I always joke that he eats them like candy)
Saran wrap
Aluminum foil heavy
Diapers size 4 (hopefully we will be upgrading to pull-ups soon I can't wait to have both boys out of diapers)
I have some yummy dishes planned and because I typed my list for you I was able to group things together for efficiency, thus saving me from running all the way back to the produce section when I have already made it to the milk cooler. Yea! So what about you do you love to shop or are you like me and dread it?
Monday, August 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Amie ... your ingredients on your shopping list look like your family will be having wonderful meals for the next two weeks! Good for you to get it done and not have to take the boys back next week.
I ran across an old notebook a few months ago that had my menus from the early 1970's ... I tried to do what you are doing and shop only about once every couple of weeks too. I'm afraid that I don't exactly remember how it worked out for me.
Amie it is always worth a try- supermarkets are a nightmare. When I am in NYC with my roommate she and I plan out the menus and order through fresh direct and have them deliver- saves on backache, supermarket drag and we actually cook and eat at home rather than resort to take out or going out.
Good luck with the shopping!
I work at a supermarket...so I of course dread grocery shopping...whether I have to shop after a hard days work or come in on my day off...grocery shopping is the pits!
ooh you look like you're going to have some yummy meals.. I personally HATE grocery shopping with the kids.. alone I linger though it has more to do with being alone than the groceries LOL
Post a Comment