Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lost and found at the park

Today we went to the park we had never been to, in a small town we had never even driven through. A friend invited us to join her there and since it is my mission to visit all of the parks within a 30min radius of our house I gladly accepted. I have found that most of the parks here are very nice and this one was no different. Our trouble occurred when the park became overrun with running, laughing, and playing children. There were several others mom's and kids that my friend had invited and a group of daycare kids. I am not sure how many kids there were but there were a lot and the park is not huge. I did a good job of keeping an eye on my two little crumb crunchers for a while but at some point I lost sight of Jake, figuring he was with Will as he usually is, I went over to the area that I knew Will was in. I asked him were Jake was he didn't know. I start looking around, I don't see him, I called his name. . . nothing. I look some more still don't see him probably only a few seconds had passed but it seemed like hours and full panic starts to set in. Where could he have gone? Would he wonder off? How far could a two year old actually get? Would someone take him in a town of 200? What if I couldn't find him? Like I said, full blown panic. I am still looking calling him ever louder. Will, probably sensing my panic, is also looking and finally points him out to me. I ask him where he had been innocently he says in the tube thing. I said didn't you hear me calling you? Yes he says! I try to calm down while telling him if he hears me calling for him to please come or at least say where he is. I know he is wondering what the big deal is he really hadn't left the are where he was playing and hadn't wondered off but to his mommy the momentary thought of losing that little guy was terrifying. He had a big melt down tonight just before bed, not because of the incident at the park but just because he is two and he was tired. It didn't even faze me. The usual irritation that occurs when fits are thrown was completely overshadowed by the fact that he was sitting right in front of me safe and sound. I think I will be dressing them in bright orange next time we go to the park!

No comments: